About Neck Pain
Acute (short-term) neck pain is very common. It can happen as the result of tense muscles, sitting in front of a computer for many hours, or sleeping in an awkward position. Chronic (long-term) neck pain is neck pain that lasts for 12 weeks or more. It usually occurs as the result of a combination of factors: muscular strain, poor posture, and disc-related conditions.
Symptoms Of Neck Pain
Neck pain may either occur in a specific area of the neck, or it may radiate along nerves?for example, down an arm. When neck pain radiates, it can affect reflexes and muscle strength in the affected areas and can cause tingling sensations.
Some neck pain symptoms, or symptoms that occur along with neck pain, require urgent medical attention. These symptoms include:
- Signs of paralysis, such as difficulty moving your fingers
- Neck pain after an accident
- Unintentional weight loss
- Fever or chills
- Loss of bladder or bowel control
- Frequent numbness or tingling sensations in your hands or legs
- Trouble keeping your balance when walking
Diagnosis Of Neck Pain
Our physicians are board certified, and are dedicated to giving you a comprehensive exam that will aid in diagnosing the cause of your symptoms. Using advanced diagnostic techniques, our doctors will find out the reason for your pain, and then get you on the road to better health right away. Here are a few steps our physicians use when completing their comprehensive exams:
- We take your complete medical history to identify or rule out possible causes of your pain.
- We conduct a thorough physical exam
- We carefully review your symptoms, including how you would describe the pain (burning, achy, dull, etc.) and whether certain positions or activities make the pain feel better or worse
- We may order diagnostic tests, including x-ray, MRI or CT scan, to help us diagnose your chronic pain
Once we have an accurate diagnosis, we will work together with you to create a treatment plan that will effectively address your neck pain.
Possible Treatments For Neck Pain
We provide a wide range of treatments and therapies for neck pain. Treatment is highly individualized and will depend on the underlying cause of pain and severity of symptoms. Available treatments include:
- Injection therapy
- Spinal cord stimulation
- Vertebroplasty and Kyphoplasty
- Radiofrequency ablation
- Trigger point injection
- Epidural steroid injection
- Occipital nerve block
- Alternative therapies
- Medication management